Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Minimalist Resolution

A couple weeks ago when I posted about my resolutions, you may (or may not) have noticed that one area of my life was conspicuously absent.

Minimalism.

You see, I couldn't quite think of an attainable goal.

I thought of things like

  • I won't buy anything new for a year / month 
  • I will decrease my stuff by 50%
  • I will get rid of 365 things (one for each day)
But I knew that I would be setting myself up for failure. Finally this past week I remembered two mottos or slogans that I really, really want to focus on and be intentional about this year. 

One in, one out     
and     
A place for everything and everything in its place (aka - Don't put it down, put it away!)

Most of my clutter is stuff that is out of place. Coats on the floor, books laying next to the bookshelf, papers strewn on the counter, etc. It's not really clutter, it's just not in its place. I want to be successful with this and I want to model this kind of behavior to my children. If we can master this, our home will be much more peaceful and mama will be much happier at the end of the day! 

As for the one in, one out....this is one we've been working on as a family this past year and I think we've made great progress. This is another lesson/mantra I want to teach my children. 

So there you have it...two attainable resolutions to keep me on this path called minimalism.

1 comment:

  1. That's my goal for this year:
    PEEP - a Place for Everything...

    Most of my problems come from indecision; I'm not sure I should keep it or where it should be stored so the object in question has no "home". I WILL be ruthless this year.
    ~skye

    ReplyDelete