Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Joy Dare


If you read more than five blogs authored by Christian women, then you have surely heard of Ann Voskamp. She's a rock-star blogger who, with one simple concept, has revolutionized many, many lives.

I have to admit, I don't read every word Ann writes (unless it happens to be about Compassion). She's a little too poetic for my taste.

I did read her book, though. I haven't read it many times like some, nor do I plan to read it every year like some, but her presentation of that one concept has made a big difference in my life.



What is that one simple concept?

Giving thanks.

In her book, One Thousand Gifts, Ann unwraps the mystery and theology of giving thanks to God in all things. It started as a dare. Could she list 1000 things she was thankful for? During the experiment, she discovered the beauty that all is grace.

After reading her book last spring, I started my own list. After a couple weeks I got lazy and threw it away. Then a couple weeks later I started again.

1438 entries later, my paradigm has been shifted.

I've realized that God wants my thanksgiving in all things. In the sweet. In the ugly. In the fun. In the hard. In the good and in the bad.

Ann has issued a Joy Dare for 2012. Will you join? Each month Ann will post suggestions for giving thanks in three ways each day. You can find a free printable download in this post.

Yesterday's prompt was....something you're reading, you're making, you're seeing.

Here are my answers....

reading ~ Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster 


making ~ material covered composition books


seeing ~ breathtaking sunsets



What are you waiting for? Get a journal or notebook and begin counting your gifts. 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I haven't been following Ann's blog for a while since I had to cut down on my list on reader because it was just taking up too much time. I love what she has to say but, like you, sometimes her way of saying it rubs me the wrong way (or maybe I am just too impatient). Anyway, I loved being able to print this off and reconnect with this wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard of Ann, but haven't read her book. I will remedy that soon. It sounds very inspiring. Your sunset photo is breathtakingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete