Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Tuesday, January 26, 2021

My One Thing


At the end of 2020 I read the book Master of One by Jordan Raynor. The main idea of the book is that we need to figure out our "one thing" and then put our energy, time and focus into mastering it. I loved the book and decided to let it be the launching pad for my focus in 2021. It's obvious to me that violin is my one thing, but I wanted to go beyond the obvious. I decided that violin teaching is actually the thing that brings me joy. I can't just start teaching more...I don't have students knocking on my door for lessons right now, nor do I have time or energy to teach more than I already am. BUT...there are things I can do to improve and enhance my teaching. These are the things I'm focusing on this year. If I implement all I've been thinking of, it will affect my practicing, my reading, my screen time and more!




I have one viola student right now, so I'm making it a priority to play the viola a little bit each day. I'm also trying to play the mandolin a little bit to stretch myself...mandolin is strung the same as a violin so learning the notes is easy...I get caught up on using a pick instead of a bow!







 

6 comments:

  1. I love seeing the gleaming wood of a violin.
    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2021/01/the-rest-of-indoor-herb-garden.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post! My children all learned to play the violin. My daughter is the only one who continued. Thanks for sharing about the book. I am going to look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your love of music and how you share it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful musical instruments. If we lived nearby I would send my kiddo to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you on your ventures outside your comfort zone! I'm sure your student will benefit from your experience and wisdom.

    It's so great to see your link at 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I played the violin for a while as a young kid, but sadly I never continued with it. It really has the sweetest sound.

    ReplyDelete