Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Thursday, October 6, 2016

Read Alouds

Each Thursday I'm sharing a peek into our homeschool journey this year. Last week I shared our school space and this week I'm talking about books....



Read Alouds are the heart and soul of our homeschool journey. Ever since my girls were wee ones, I've been reading aloud to them. Now that they are avid bookworms and enjoy reading on their own, we still almost always have a story that I'm reading aloud to them - a story we can share together.

I used to save our read aloud time for right before bed, but more often than not, I would be too tired to read much (if at all). At the end of the day, if I haven't read to my girls I usually regret it. Last year I sat down and thought about the things I regret not doing on a daily basis, and set out to make those things our most important things. Now we start our homeschool day with a read aloud. It's so nice to start out the day with something we all enjoy.

Last year I discovered Bravewriter's Arrow program. It's a monthly language arts program that is based on a book that we read aloud together. We loved it so much that we signed up for it again this year. I love that it puts importance on our read aloud, and I've really enjoyed the book choices. More than once we discover a new to us author and then go down a rabbit trail reading more books by the same author.

I don't remember reading very much as a child, so I'm enjoying these stories as much as my girls are, and I'm so glad we have this special bond. Another wonderful source of inspiration for me has been the Read Aloud Revival podcast.  In one recent podcast I discovered some amazing books that I'm eager to dive into.



I'm linking up with Little Things Thursday 

5 comments:

  1. Our day is SO jam packed that it's easy to skip a nice read aloud but the kids (and I) love it! We're doing "The Kid Who Ran for President" (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful! My husband and I used to read aloud to each other. It is something that never grows old! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to spend time together and learn something at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was homeschooling my younger ones, we used Sonlight curriculum which is based on read alouds. We loved all those books! Reading aloud as a family was a treasured tradition in our home.
    Pumpkin spice latte: they're so sweet I can only drink one a year. But like you, this year I basically decided that it is over the top sweet and I think I'll skip it from now on.
    Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was homeschooling my younger ones, we used Sonlight curriculum which is based on read alouds. We loved all those books! Reading aloud as a family was a treasured tradition in our home.
    Pumpkin spice latte: they're so sweet I can only drink one a year. But like you, this year I basically decided that it is over the top sweet and I think I'll skip it from now on.
    Happy weekend to you!

    ReplyDelete