Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Friday, May 6, 2016

The More of Less by Joshua Becker


minimalism...
the intentional promotion of the things we most value 
and the removal of anything that distracts us from them.

I'm pretty sure that my introduction to minimalism started by stumbling across Joshua Becker's blog, Becoming Minimalist, several years ago. I've read nearly everything he's written and am always inspired by his message.

I can relate to Joshua on several levels. First of all, he and I used to live in the same town in Vermont, although I hadn't heard of him when I lived there. Secondly, he's a Christian and leans heavily on his faith to encourage and inspired him on this minimalist journey. And thirdly, he's a parent of two kids who are roughly the same age as my kids. 

In his new book, The More of Less, Joshua shares his story and many reasons for encouraging others to pursue a life of less. Although there are some tips and ideas for decluttering (he calls it deowning and I love that idea), I found this book to be more of a "why-to" than a "how-to". He has included many stories of others who have found value in minimizing their possessions and maximizing their lives. 

It is a very easy read, but it's full of wisdom, encouragement and inspiration. I am really looking forward to finally meeting Mr. Becker next month when he comes to my city on his book tour.


Disclaimer: I received this book from Blogging For Books for this review.

2 comments:

  1. I saw this on Sharon's blog post last week... I really want to read it.

    I am on a minimalist path... or at the very least "I own it because I love it, not to fill a hole." Holes are good, clean space is good. Matter of fact, the home that we are looking at is a good bit smaller than our last, and it excites me to think of getting rid of more stuff. I am also doing the capsule wardrobe, and I love the easiness of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this on Sharon's blog post last week... I really want to read it.

    I am on a minimalist path... or at the very least "I own it because I love it, not to fill a hole." Holes are good, clean space is good. Matter of fact, the home that we are looking at is a good bit smaller than our last, and it excites me to think of getting rid of more stuff. I am also doing the capsule wardrobe, and I love the easiness of it.

    ReplyDelete