Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Love Journals

A couple years ago I came across two unused journals while decluttering. Not wanting to get rid of them, I came up with the idea of using these as special journals for my daughters.
Periodically I will write a note to each girl and leave the journal out in a prominent place – next to their bed, at the top of the stairs, on the counter, at the table…. Usually, there will also be a treat sitting on top.
DSCN0175
DSCN0179
The girls gobble up the treat, read the note (or ask me to read it to them) and then set about “responding”. Currently my girls are 4 and 6, so their response is often in the form of a picture they draw. However, as they learn to write, I am loving that they can write “I love you” back to me.
DSCN0178DSCN0176
DSCN0182The messages are simple and will be cherished for a long time. It’s a fun way to practice reading and writing – my girls don’t complain at all when they see these books. They get excited to figure out what I’ve written and eagerly get out pens and pencils to write back. They aren’t ever that eager when I pull out a handwriting worksheet!
I’ve even caught my youngest daughter pulling the book out on her own to initiate the process and write to me. I’ve also found my oldest reading through the book.
It’s a book full of love.
I'm linking up to Works for Me Wednesday at We are THAT Family.

6 comments:

  1. OH how sweet! I ABSOLUTELY love this idea!!
    Blessings!
    LIB
    http://bit.ly/daNjZ9

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea!!! I will have to borrow it. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this idea! I will bookmark this for when I have kids :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet idea this is. What a treasure, now and in the future for all of you. A class I recently attended suggested keeping a love note journal--capturing all the good you see in your child, all the happy memories of you and her together-- and saving it to give on the child's wedding day.

    You are a loving mother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily...I have that type of journal for each girl also. Periodically I write in it and record what special moments we've had and what milestones they have attained. I also have a Bible for each girl that I plan to write in as I read through. I'll post about these eventually...

    ReplyDelete