Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Tuesday, October 8, 2019

School Things

School has been back in session at our house for over a month now, and we are finding our groove. The girls are in 8th and 9th grades this year... our 11th year of educating at home! Here's a little peek into what we are doing this year. 




My favorite thing about home education is the shared experience of learning. We still do almost everything together, and instead of using textbooks we read living books.


Some times I get distracted....and when I do I often find the girls doing strange and silly things. Like dressing up in an Egyptian costume while listening to history or eating ice cream during Spanish (while learning to say "I need ice cream" and "I like ice cream". 




And other times we get experiences we never would have dreamed of. My youngest daughter is a bird enthusiast. This past week a little bird flew right into our window and then promptly fell to the ground. We went outside and were able to hold it for a few minutes before it flew away.



Then a couple days later another bird flew into another window. Sadly, this one didn't survive, but my daughter still got to look at it up close.



And then yesterday, yet another bird was trapped in our greenhouse. My daughter was able to catch it and release it outside!


My girls also take art lessons from a local friend. Their most recent lesson was on creating tessellations and I think they both did an excellent job.





Linking up with

4 comments:

  1. You have such a fantastic home school!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2019/10/shades-of-yelllow.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire you for your commitment to your children and their education. There are so many things you can't learn in a classroom.

    Thanks for being a part of 'My Corner of the World' this week!

    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
  4. Home school must be a big challenge, but also very rewarding. I taught school for many years and know how much time I put into planning lessons. - Margy

    ReplyDelete