Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Monday, January 15, 2018

Just Mossy


For some of you, winter means yards and streets covered in snow. For us here in the Pacific Northwest, it means green yards, sidewalks, roofs and more.


It's a moss paradise...all the rain and cooler temperatures are perfect conditions for the moss and ferns to thrive.


This is a picnic shelter at the local park...the roof  has its own little garden growing on top. 


And some sidewalks blend right in with the grass.




Even brick walls provide a good enough canvas for the moss and ferns to thrive. 




It's actually fun to take the time to notice the different kinds of moss and lichen growing. There is spiky moss, hair-like moss and fluffy/clumpy moss. I know some consider it to be a weed and do all they can to kill it, but I think it's beautiful and welcome it in my yard.




These next two are edited versions of two photos I posted last week, but they really fit nicely with this moss theme. 






I'm linking up with Good, Random, Fun and Seasons

7 comments:

  1. My favorite part of the PNW in the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so pretty! Making me miss the PNW! Some of the best 8 years of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Soo pretty these natural roof gardens! Am glad you're going more back to photography - you are so good at it:) Have an inspiring week, Jill!
    Thank you for sharing your season with All Seasons:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it when moss, vines, and any kind of plant decides to take over a structure or object. Probably not good for the structure. I'll plead ignorance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we lived in Cleveland, Ohio, there were parts of our yard that were so shaded and moist that moss was the only plant that would grow - so I encouraged it - why fight it and try for the perfect 'lawn'? Loved your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just SO jealous right now as I see the snow falling here!
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2018/01/a-few-feathery-visitors.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah yes! How well and fondly I remember the moss and ferns.
    Here winter means a little rain and the most pleasant season for hiking.

    ReplyDelete