Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

January in Review

January...the first month of 2018 has come and gone. I keep a journal and record highlights and blessings of each day, but I thought it would be fun to try to recap each month and its highlights here on my blog.


We started off the year with the incredible blessing of receiving this full-sized violin for my daughter. You can read the story here. She loves playing it and has grown so much as a violinist this month. 



The new year also started out with one of the most gorgeous sunrises I've ever seen. I was up early reading and drinking my coffee when I noticed a pink glow coming in from every window in the house.



We also celebrated a milestone birthday in our house...our oldest daughter turned 13 and our journey as parents of a teenager officially began.



Our birthday traditions are simple...we keep celebrations within the family and when our girls were 10 they each had their first big party with friends. Since 13 is such a milestone birthday, it was our daughter's second birthday party with friends and we started with a couple hours of bowling. It has been YEARS since I last bowled and it was so much fun.



For the actual birthday, we had special visitors. Grandma (my mom) and Grandpa came to visit from Texas! We had fun recreating this photo from at least 10 years ago.



Because of the weather, time of year, and some health issues, we spent a good amount of time inside this month. I had a strong start to my reading hear and managed to finish 10 books. Half of those are considered childrens' books, but I'm on a quest to read as many Newberry Award Winners as possible. I also still read aloud to my girls, and I read what they are required to read for our homeschool literature selections.   




When it came to violin, I practiced daily and focused on Bach's Sonata No. 2 in A minor. I have fallen back into a wonderful practice routine and look forward to picking up my violin each day. I'm not pressuring myself to practice a certain amount of time each day...just enjoying the challenge of learning some beautiful music and sharpening my skills.  I also managed to run 36 miles.



We had a very mild January, and I'm excited to see signs of spring already. We have buds on trees, bulbs poking through the ground and perennials starting to green up and produce new growth. And now we move into February....what will it bring?


I'm linking up with Good, Random, Fun and Seasons

4 comments:

  1. Keeping track of our blessings is sure to be the key to joyful living.
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2018/01/fun-with-textures-in-photoshop.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was fun recreating that photo of a decade ago! Tell your mom she still looks young:) A special event to become 13 years old, and having a full size violin is too! My daughter became a home school mom last month (not expected, but out of need). Good she doesn't know yet how much she in the future needs to read:):)
    A very special post, Jill with all of these mile stones! Thank you much for taking time out of your busy schedule to share with All Seasons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of keeping track of blessings. It makes it a joy place to go when things are a bit of a struggle. Thanks for the inspiration. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a busy month! The party sounds fun!!
    I too am focusing on YA books!

    ReplyDelete