Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Thursday, September 28, 2017

Books

Now that our trip is over and summer is over, it's back to school for us. I don't know why, but I really thought homeschooling would get easier. Maybe I thought my girls would get more and more independent, but I feel more involved than ever in their education. I know that's a good thing, and we are working towards a level of independence this year, but I'm also their teacher. I wouldn't want to send my kids to school and not have their teacher involved.

This year I have a 7th grader who is in Challenge A in the Classical Conversations program. I absolutely love this program and am so excited about what she is learning this year. She....not so much.




I also have a 6th grader who is in her final year of foundations and essentials in the Classical Conversations program. She is much more agreeable to school, and to prepare her better for Challenge next year, I'm increasing her work load a bit this year.


Currently we are starting earlier than ever each morning. I wake the girls up shortly before 7:30 so we can begin our day with read-aloud and something warm to drink. We really like having most of school finished by lunch, and I didn't want to stop sharing stories together, so we decided to start earlier.

Anyway....I want to show you some photos of an AMAZING collection of books in Dublin, Ireland. We visited Trinity College's Long Room and it's a book lovers paradise.






This is the scripture that comes to mind when I see all these books (even though the Scripture is taken completely out of context here...which is a pet peeve of mine). Still...so. many. books.
Ecclesiastes 12:12
But, my child, let me give you some further advice: 
Be careful, for writing books is endless and much study wears you out.








I visited several bookshops while I was out and about...basically anytime I passed one and it was open. I was looking for a great new read, but instead just collected a list of authors' names. When I returned to the US, my mother in law loaned me a book (Galway Bay by Mary Pat Kelly) that takes place in Ireland. It was a great read.


I'm linking up with Little Things Thursday


2 comments:

  1. That library!!!
    Have a great school year - they look so grown and gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That library is so beautiful, it is hard to believe that it is real!
    Your girls are so lucky to have such a fantastic teacher!

    ReplyDelete