Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Thursday, November 10, 2016

Giving Thanks Through it All


I'll be honest with you...it feels a little silly and trite to focus on gratitude during the month of November (simply because of our Thanksgiving holiday). I really need to be grateful ALL YEAR LONG, but earlier in this year I fell off the "grateful wagon" and had stopped counting my blessings.

Yet I needed a new start and can't think of a better month. The simple act of opening a journal and jotting down a few thoughts each day has created a crazy paradigm shift in my life. I also adopted a habit change that has been so beneficial...I put my phone down at 7pm each night and focus on other things. No more getting lost on facebook until I'm too tired to read my book. No more mindless scrolling through instagram.

More time to be intentional and recognize the blessings of my day. More time to read the stack of books I brought home from the library. More time to spend with my family members.


I have friends and family who are sad and hurt by the election results, but I also have friends and family who are elated. It's a time to remember that kindness - a quiet and gentle spirit - is what is needed right now. Fighting, name-calling and accusations won't change anything.

I'm choosing to find JOY in the little things....and then remember to   give thanks for them. 





I'm linking up with Little Things Thursday 

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful post! I'm definitely focusing on being grateful this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pine cone is amazing!! And 7pm! wow - that really challenges me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pine cone is amazing!! 7PM oh my I never could do that. I do it on shabbat, but not easily!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Romans 13:1 "Let every person be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.

    God is fully trustworthy. The results of the this election did not take Him by surprise - so we can rest in His sovereignty and be thankful that His will is being done. I hope that is an encouragement to you.

    I also think social media can suck us dry - Kudos to you for setting aside each day.

    I especially like your last shot. :-)

    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful thoughts artfully illustrated. That is one big pinecone!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just finding you here! How very cool. Catching up. ❤️

    ReplyDelete