Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Hands Free Life: 9 Habits to Overcoming Distraction, Living Better & Loving More by Rachel Macy Stafford


We are living in a time where distraction and temptation lurk around every corner. I love my iphone...I love being able to look up answers to questions on the spot, face time with my mom who lives across the country and track my mileage as I run. It's also simplified my life in many ways, replacing so many other gadgets. My phone is my calculator, my camera, my tuner and metronome and so much more.

But my phone is also a BIG distraction. I think if we are honest with ourselves, we could all agree to this statement. When I put my phone down and have both hands available, I find so much freedom.

Rachel Macy Stafford presents nine habits for living a better, less-distracted and more love filled life in her new book Hands Free Life. Although I don't love her style of writing, I definitely gleaned inspiration from her stories, examples and and encouragement to be more intentional with disconnecting from my devices and making real connections with those directly in front of me.

It seems counter-cultural to disconnect, but it also seems like common sense when you think about it. The child who wants me to watch her do a cartwheel needs my attention more than the instagrammer I've never met. At the end of the day, I never sigh and wish I'd spent more time on my phone. Usually I'm sighing and wishing I'd taken the time to read another book, play a game or have gone on a walk with my children.

This book is full of ideas and encouragement to truly live a better life and to be more connected to those who are part of your life - even those who pass through our lives briefly.


Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from BookLook bloggers in exchange for this review.

1 comment:

  1. I could definitely use more balance in this area of my life. I use to be really great about not touching my phone throughout the day but the last few months I find I've been checking it too much. I think my struggle is that when I have pockets of time I think anything meaningful will take more time than I have so I spend those precious moments on my phone instead.

    ReplyDelete