Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Thursday, December 19, 2013

{p,h,f,r} ~ Christmas


taking a moment to capture contentment and joy in every day life

{pretty}
Over the weekend we took a family trip north and visited a glass museum, botanical garden and beautiful parks. 










{happy}
I have developed a love of collecting nature finds and bringing them into my home. As we were walking through the park I saw several smashed chestnuts. After a few minutes of careful searching, I found one that was whole and slipped it into my pocket. Then I started looking for more. I would find one here and there and felt like each was a treasure. Then as we were leaving, I found a whole stash of them at the base of a tree. I didn't take them all...only took this photo. Aren't they pretty?



This girl has been practicing some sort of skit or play for Christmas. I caught her rehearsing and snapped this shot. I love being a mom at Christmas time - it's fun to experience Christmas through the excitement of children.



Cookies! These were our favorites...



I love watching my girls get excited about Christmas....they are excited about celebrating Christ, they are excited about making cookies, they are excited about Christmas morning - both giving and receiving gifts, they are excited about every little thing!





{funny}
Unfortunately neither of my kids like math very much. It's hard for me to understand this because math was always my favorite subject. Both girls do well and are even ahead of where they need to be, but they hate math. I've tried everything to make it fun. 

This week, when faced with another sheet of problems my oldest asked if she could tear it up when she was done. I told her we could burn it if she wanted. She wanted. She hasn't asked to do it again.



So you know the whole "elf on the shelf" thing....I was explaining this to my kids and husband over the weekend. Telling them some of the funny things I've seen on Pinterest. Well...my girls came up with "dragon on the shelf". It lasted all of 30 minutes, but it was funny. 

First I found the dragon had made my bed and left candy and a sweet note.


But 5 minutes later I found the dragon messing around with the toothbrushes. 


And by the time I got downstairs, he'd gotten into my coffee. 



And before I knew it he was in the cupboard stealing chocolate!



See the ring pop on her finger? She would sneak a lick every once in a while....


{real}

We are all ready for a school break! A couple weeks ago I made a mental note of what we should finish before taking a break and we are so, so close! Yesterday my girls chose to do 3 days worth of math so they could be done for the year. We have just a few things to finish up - will likely do so this morning. 

I have plans for my break...I need to paint a room and want to read, read, read. I want to start a new read-aloud with the girls and have several books I want to read myself. 

We are also ready for Christmas....shopping is done....wrapping is done....baking is done.... Can you believe my husband did the bulk of shopping this year? He's so good about knowing just what to get the girls and just goes ahead and orders stuff. I love this about him! 




I don't know if Like Mother, Like Daughter is hosting this link-up next week (I doubt it since it's Christmas), but I have a fun "lights" post with photos that fit into each category so be sure to come back!

I'm linking up with Like Mother, Like Daughter

round button chicken

2 comments:

  1. Love it all! And the dragon is so perfect :) I'll try not to be jealous of your husband taking care of the shopping! wow, that is a gift in itself!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? And he's so good at it! It's was so sweet to see what all he had gotten them...a good balance of needs and simple surprises. I think the most surprising thing to me is that they are girls and yet he knows them so well. It makes me love him even more!

      Delete