Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

A Garden Daybook

I love to garden and this is the first house where I have actually gotten to enjoy the same garden several years in a row. I'm not a master gardener by any means, but I enjoy experimenting and learning.

In fact, my garden often feels pathetic - especially compared to others. And yet, it is my personal sanctuary. My favorite times of the day are when I go out to my backyard and walk around to enjoy the flowers and see the growth that has occurred.

An overview....







Garden friends...
butterflies



praying mantis




frogs, frogs and more frogs!
sitting on flowers



climbing the fence



nestled in leaves


Harvesting...
Tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, peppers, strawberries, green beans, carrots and herbs.







Blooming...
Zinnias and marigolds are in bloom. I save the seeds every year and replant them and it's such a joy to see them year after year. In fact, both seem to think they are sunflowers with how tall they are this year!






Soon the sunflowers will be in bloom, too.





Surprises....

There are some voluntary morning glories growing on my sunflowers!



Several weeks ago I cut my lupine back and I noticed it has started blooming again.


Other Beauties...








What's Working....
I am so glad I bought the trellis for the cucumbers. It was great to have my lettuce planted under it and the cucumbers have grown really well on the top. I will definitely do this again next year.




What's NOT Working....
I can't grow pumpkins or broccoli. I try every year and continue to fail. 

I planted many things to climb my arch and nothing grew quickly or well. I imagined an arch full of flowers and covered with growth and instead I have an arch.


Plans for Next Year.....
More green beans! More carrots! Less lettuce. Spread the zinnias and marigolds out more. I also really want black eyed susans.



How's your garden growing?




2 comments:

  1. Love your garden! Ours is way too big to care for the way I would like! I'm already looking forward to being able to do more of the planning next year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a great garden layout! I wish I had the yard space for a garden like yours.

      Delete