Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

What Else?

About three years ago I was introduced to the concept of coaching and have found the process to be so helpful when it comes to finding clarity and moving forward. 

If you aren't familiar with coaching, it is an equal partnership between coach and person being coached. Together, both parties help the person being coached find clarity, discover possibility and achieve action.

It's a simple concept, really. In coaching, one assumes that the person being coached is the expert on his or her life and will take action on his or her own ideas. 

A coach does not tell the person being coached what to do. 

A coach simply asks questions in an effort to bring new thinking and clarity to the person being coached. 

Coaching is powerful. 

Coaching is effective.

Why am I talking about coaching? Because I get coached regularly and one of the best questions my coach asks me is, "What else?"

This question makes me think beyond the obvious and go one (or more) step further. 

So whether it's problem solving, decluttering, teaching my children or trying to change a habit, I need to stop and ask myself, "What else?"

"What else can I do?"

"What else can I get rid of?"

"What else do I want to remember?"

"What else was significant about this book?"

Go beyond the obvious....dig deeper and find out what else.

No comments:

Post a Comment