Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Friday, July 27, 2012

Summer Joys ~ Basil

Last year was not a good year for my basil.

This year is a completely different story. 


It's growing like crazy.

Basil is one of my favorite herbs and yet I have way too much to ever use it up while it's fresh. I'm not much of a pesto person, and so I decided to freeze it.

After some initial internet reading, I learned that frozen basil retains its flavor better than dried basil.


So I cut it




washed it, spun it




 dried it



and froze it.



And when I went to clean up I discovered this baby praying mantis on my counter. It made me happy because  a couple weeks ago our praying mantis egg sac hatched and we haven't seen these guys since then. It's nice to know there is at least one that made it and is still making its home in our yard.


I froze some of our dill, too.

Have you frozen herbs before?

5 comments:

  1. No! I wouldn't have even thought to! Good to know :) I finally made pesto the other day and was SHOCKED that the boys all liked it! Very fun. I tried to save some basil in a baggie in the fridge but it got all black...wonder if I did something wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a blender, just a hand-held thing and that's my main reason for not even trying to make pesto.

      Not sure how long basil will keep in a baggie in the fridge. My mom did that while she was here and a couple days later when I found it, it looked pretty sad. I had so much outside that I didn't mind throwing it out. But mine didn't go black.

      Delete
  2. I love your blog and it always cheers, motivates and inspires me to feel grateful for all our wonderful blessings. The photos are beautilful and I love to hear about your decluttering as it spurs me on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Put basil in a jar of water in the fridge; it will last for a few days without turning black.

    ~skye

    ReplyDelete