Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Monday, May 21, 2012

The Motivation of a Sale

When it comes to decluttering, my kids are highly motivated by the thought of selling their stuff. Last year they begged me to have a garage sale and were willing to part with many of their not-so-treasured possessions.



They've started asking me to have another garage sale. And as much as I hate the thought of doing it again, I am motivated by the piles of stuff that keep coming out of their rooms for the sale.

Several weeks ago I wrote about my big experiment and how I boxed up a lot of their toys. When we started talking about having another garage sale, they asked to look through the bins of confiscated stuff. I was hesitant, but allowed it.

Just as I feared, they showed great excitement as they re-discovered their toys. Now, several weeks later, most of what they just had to have back in their possession is making it's way back into the garage - into the piles that are for the garage sale.

I love this. I simply love this.

Why? Because it's not me getting rid of their stuff. It's them realizing that they really don't need it or even want it.

So that's our new project. We are stripping away even more layers and getting closer and closer to living minimally.

1 comment:

  1. Great work!
    " Its them realising that they really don't need it or even want it".
    This is so true, when as a parent too that you realise that they really can't enjoy so much stuff as it is overwhelming.
    My daughter enjoys seeing who her old toys are going to, whether we sell them at the church market, sell them on eBay ( she wants to know their name!) or whether we give them away to younger friends.
    She gets a lot of joy out of that.
    Enjoy your garage sale.

    ReplyDelete