Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Read Alouds

We like to read. 

A lot. 


I haven't always been an avid reader, but in the past 10 or so years, I've begun keeping track of what I read and I average one book a week. Sometimes I have several books going at once, and other times I try to limit myself to focus on one thing at a time.

When I became a mother seven years ago, I discovered a new joy ~ reading aloud to my kids.

First it was board books, then picture books and now we've ventured out into chapter books.


I love reading children's literature. Sometimes I read it to myself, for myself. Sometimes the girls aren't interested, or in the case of the Mistmantle Chronicles, dad had already read the books aloud to the girls. I was feeling left out and wanted to know what all the hype was about. I'm so glad I took the time to read figure it out.

I love that we have kept up the practice of reading together. Reading can be such a solitary experience, and it's fun to share in the joy of a story together. When you read aloud to your kids or family members, you engage in reading at a whole new level. We cuddle, laugh together, reminisce and even act out the stories as we go through our days. 


I hope my girls don't out grow this activity because I don't want it to end anytime soon.


Here's a list of what we have read together since the beginning of this school year (September 2011). This list doesn't include picture books, only the longer chapter books.
  • Ramona the Pest by Beverly Cleary
  • Ramona the Brave by Beverly Cleary
  • Ramona and Her Father by Beverly Cleary
  • Ramona and Her Mother by Beverly Cleary
  • Charlotte's Web by E. B. White
  • Trumpet of the Swan by E. B. White
  • The Blue Hill Meadows by Cynthia Rylant
  • Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
  • The Tale of Despereax by Kate DiCamillo
  • Babe the Gallant Pig by Dick King-Smith
  • Angus and Sadie by Cynthia Voigt
  • Young Fredle by Cythia Voigt
  • The True Gift by Patricia MacLachlan
  • The ShoeBox by Francine Rivers

What are some of your favorite books you've read aloud to your kids?

9 comments:

  1. We love the Betsy-Tacy series by Maud Hart Lovelace...it's about little girls, but my son loves them also! The original Winnie the Pooh books by A.A.Milne are also great. I thought they would be too young for my 7 and 8 year olds, but they loved them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm putting the Betsy-Tacy series on our list. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Corduroy! My just-turned-3-year-old got this for Christmas and she loves it. I also really love reading her The Important Book. It's been so fun to discover new books and stories together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just want to say that my kids, at 12/13, still like to have our special read-aloud books. Once past that age my son was happier to read books simultaneously (still share them in this way) but not out loud. It is busyness that prevents us from doing this more, these days. But the read alouds of younger years are one of my favorite memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We still read aloud, too, even though my oldest is 15. Now when the whole family reads together it is usually a short story, though. I am reading The Secret Garden aloud to my 9 and 7 year olds right now -- it's one of our favorites and a perfect way to start the spring. We also LOVE Elmer and the Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett for little kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We loved the Elmer and the Dragon series. This reminds me to get these books again so my oldest and read them on her own. I definitely want to read The Secret Garden soon. So many good books out there....

      Delete
  5. Oh, we love to read aloud! Take a look at The Penderwicks series by Jeanne Birdsall. My girls (6 & 8) love them, as do I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Penderwicks series are on our list! We have the first book and can get the others at our library.

      Delete
    2. One of my favorite books to read aloud is The Boxcar Children. Sigh. Lovely, and especially so because it's focus is on siblings who get along and work together so well.

      Delete