Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Family Fitness

Fitness and physical health is a priority for my husband and I, and it's something we want to model and pass on to our daughters. We all know it's important for our health to maintain a certain fitness level. Like so many other areas of our lives, we try to pursue this as a family and include it in our lifestyle. My husband and I both take time to work out individually, but as much as possible, we also incorporate fitness activities into our family time.

Here are some examples of what we do.

Hiking - You already know that we are avid hikers and will hike in just about any kind of weather - sun, rain and snow. I cannot begin to tell you how much these times in creation have shaped who we are as a family and how we relate to one another. Not only does hiking refresh our souls, we spend hours playing games, talking and really getting to know one another.




Cross Country Skiing - Although we've dabbled with cross country skiing in the past, this is the first winter we've all gotten on skis. Oh what fun this is! We have been pleasantly surprised how our girls have taken to this activity.



Rock Climbing - Because being outside all the time is not an option, we've even come up with a favorite indoor fitness activity to enjoy as a family. We love to rock climb. 

I first began rock climbing in college and did it mostly to impress my then boyfriend (now husband). After we married we moved to a less rock-climbing friendly part of the country and I thought we put this activity behind us. Years passed without rock climbing. 

A decade passed.

I seriously thought my rock climbing days were over and I wasn't the least bit sad about it. 
But then we moved again and this time to a very rock-climbing friendly part of the country. Rock-climbing crazy might be a better way to describe it.

It's exhilerating. It's also exhausting! But I'm finding that the more I climb, the more I want to climb.

What are your favorite fitness activities to pursue as a family?

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! You rock climbed to impress your (now) husband too?! Me also! That, and taking kayak lessons, learning to do an eskimo roll in the university pool.

    oh the things we do for love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!! Kayaking in a pool - I've done that too! I think often of your quote "To love this man means loving adventure" - that's exactly what it is. Oh the places I've gone and the things I've done....

      Delete
  2. Found your site while looking for "minimalist inspiration"...looking forward to reading more. I'm also a homeschooling mom of 2 girls (now 12 and 14) - the youngest of whom is a rock climber. Small world. :-)

    ReplyDelete