Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Monday, August 16, 2010

Moving Again

As we get ready to move yet again, I am reflecting on what deserves to make the cut this time. The current house we are renting has about 4000 square feet, and while that is way too much space for a family of four, we have spread out and have enjoyed the spacious feeling. I want to maintain that spacious feeling when we move into a house half this size. And so with that goal in mind, I am considering each piece of furniture, each belonging, each item in our house that takes up space.

I have been able to let go of 12 binders worth of papers I had organized and stored. When I was looking through these binders of paper (mostly notes from grad school) and music (copies of stuff I used at various camps I taught), I was flooded with memories from a former life. It's been over a decade since most of the binders were used, and in that decade they have traveled from VA to NC to VT to MN to MI and finally to OR; each binder taking up precious shelf space. I have decided to move them no more, and have released them to a new life on someone else's shelf.

I still have a lot of books on my bookshelf that need to go, but for now, this step feels like a step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment