Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Friday, August 13, 2010

Faith and Reading

One of the first things I have tried to simplify and minimize is what I read, particularly concerning my faith. I love to read, and in the past mostly read for entertainment.

But something has switched in me this past year, and I find myself not wanting to waste my time on fluff. I want the good stuff. I want to read things that challenge me in the way I live my life.

The biggest change for me has been paring down to reading the Bible. If I truly want to know God and what it means to love and obey Him, there is no better source than his Word. I used to read devotionals, now I read the Bible. I used to read a lot of books written for spiritual growth. I still read some, but mostly I have been reading the Bible for spiritual growth. I used to depend on the American Christian church to define christianity, now I am looking in the Bible.

I've learned a lot from listening to podcasts by Francis Chan. I am drawn to his teaching because he teaches the Word of God. He constantly encourages his listeners to spend time alone in the Word.

This is what I am striving to do, and it is so good.

3 comments:

  1. you are such an inspiration and help to me
    I am so thankful for you and delighted in your hunger and thirst for more of Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, where do you get the Francis Chan podcasts? I am a big fan of podcasts (I really like Andy Stanley at North Point) and I would love to listen to Francis Chan. I haven't read Crazy Love yet but I have heard SUCH great things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, I just linked over today from your comment at FIMBY to your thankful blog and then found this one. What a treat to find. I'd love to follow along this journey that God has you on. I hear you loud and clear on that calling. Thanks for your recommendation for this podcast.

    "I used to depend on the American Christian church to define christianity, now I am looking in the Bible."
    - Amen sister!

    ReplyDelete