Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Sunday, January 19, 2020

Snowflakes

I've lived in some very snowy places ..... Vermont, Minnesota, and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. However, the past 10 years we've lived in Portland, OR where it hardly ever snows. 17 months ago we moved an hour east to Hood River and it snows here!

I mentioned living in Vermont...both of my daughters were born there. We lived in Richmond which is just a few miles from Jericho - which is where William Bentley (aka Snowflake Bentley) grew up and lived. When I moved away from VT, a friend gifted me a framed set of his prints.




This is a wonderful picture book about his passion and work.



Little did I know that one day...10 years later, I would be inspired by another photographer on instagram to try my hand at photographing snowflakes. I bought myself an olloclip (macro lens attachment for my iphone) and started practicing.

Now, 4 years later I'm using a macro lens on my dslr and still improving my technique. I get giddy when I capture the beautiful and usually hidden details of a snowflake.

Here are some I photographed this week. Some are better than others, but I love how different each flake is.










Here's a peek behind the scenes. Once I discover the snowflakes are the kind I want to photograph, I take a couple backdrops - scarves, boot, t-shirt...and I wait for the flakes to land on them.



Here are a couple straight out of camera shots.


It's snowing again so I think I'll head outside....



I'm linking up with Good, Random, Fun and Seasons

6 comments:

  1. I love that book and love your snow flake images!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surreal! Thanks for the behind-the-scene peek :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crack me up Jill! you are one of the very few people who have a 100 interests, and whatever you do, you are successful at it! Little pieces of beauty these snowflakes. I wish it was not so cold when they fall:) Ag happy you feel okay to use All Seasons as one of your "practices"! Have a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are beautiful! We did a whole unit study on Snowflake Bentley one year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are wonderful shots, I can see why you get excited about them! If it snowed here, I'd be very tempted to get some macro lenses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your snowflake photos are amazing!

    Michelle
    http://mybijoulifeonline.com

    ReplyDelete