Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Monday, December 11, 2017

It's beginning to look a lot like......

We have this tradition of breaking out the Christmas decorations on December 1st. I think it started because we store our Advent wreath with our Christmas decorations, and when the girls were younger they loved going through the box and pulling things out. As I mentioned last week, we don't have many decorations. Over the years I've really pared down, and I love the simplicity of what is left. I was pleasantly surprised when I looked around this year and realized that most of our decorations center on Christ - which is what we are focusing on during this time of Advent and Christmas.






One of my favorite traditions is writing out the birth of Jesus from Luke 2. We simply cover the exposed side of this cupboard with paper and take turns writing and illustration. Well, we have a resident illustrator that covers the illustrations for us.






Every year I change how I decorate the mantel and every year I declare that it's my favorite so far. I love the simplicity of it this year. I cut the branches from my backyard, and have plenty more when these dry out.


This sweet Nativity scene is new to us this year. We received it from our French friends who came to visit us this past summer.



Some years we hang photos of the kids we sponsor along the top of the map. This year I decided to keep it simple and just hang our Joy banner....Joy to the World!



We also have our tree up....or should I say upside down?



And of course there are carols. This morning my youngest daughter and I are playing several at our homeschool gathering. I bought this 25 days of Christmas carols flip calendar this year (off Etsy) and I love it. I'd like to make an accompanying book of I'm linking up with Good, Random, Fun and SeasonsWednesday Around the World and Image-in-ing , so each year I can read the words, reflect on them and then go play the tune. 

I'm linking up with Good, Random, Fun and Seasons

5 comments:

  1. So so lovely!! I love the simpleness and how it makes the season that much more special. Her artwork is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to have the world map on the wall. Genious to have the Luke-2 story on the cabinet - I love the simplicity, and the meaning warms my heart!
    Don't know if you have been following the info I put out of the Weekend Journal Page.
    One of the possibilities is "to follow the progress of an artist" - and posted my grand's drama play.
    Please consider showing the photo where your two girls stand and add to the Luke-2 story - it would be a wonderful add, since it it is December
    (december has only one post -
    It's titled "Weekend Journal Page, Dec. 8, 2017." You add by putting your perma link in the comment
    (that's all - a common way for Wordpress to link with a meme). The comment section is the navy blue part underneath the post. You can link any time will January 3). Hope to see you there soon:)
    Enjoy your December week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your Luke 2 wall, so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to see you focusing on the true meaning of Christmas instead of all the glitzy stuff and shopping frenzy.
    Thanks for sharing these delightful photos at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2017/12/at-dusk.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. What lovely illustrations! How wonderful! Love your decorations! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete