Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Friday, January 1, 2016

My One Word for 2016


For the past six years I have prayerfully chosen a word to focus on during the year. I ask God to teach me and grow me through this word, and it's proven to be a very encouraging practice.

So far my words have been...

2010 - love
2011 - quiet (silent)
2012 - listen
2013 - slow
2014 - serve
2015 - enough

During advent I realized my favorite Christmas songs are "O Come, O Come Emmanuel", "O Come Let Us Adore Him" and "Come Thou Long Expected Jesus". I made the connection that they all have the word "come", but that thought stopped there.

Then my mom came to visit and one of her gifts to me was a journal for 2016...


All of a sudden I knew my word for 2016....

come

  • to move or travel toward or into a place thought of as near or familiar to the speaker
  • to move toward something; approach
  • to move or journey to a vicinity with a specified purpose

I am eager to move toward - to approach my Savior this year. I'm considering a monthly post, summarizing and sharing what I've learned . In the meantime, I'd love to hear if you've chosen a word for 2016.

4 comments:

  1. What a fantastic word and goals! Happy 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My word for 2016 is "clarity". I have blogged about here http://hisfirefly.blogspot.com/2016/01/word-for-2016.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this word for your year. Looking forward to how you focus on it and share your thoughts. My word for 2016 is Simple.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still struggling to pick a word of the year. I know that when it comes to me, I will know. In the meantime, I will keep working on "slow" -- which chose me last year. I enjoyed the insight on your word "come".

    ReplyDelete