Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Monday, January 6, 2014

Clutter Be Gone!

I don't know about you, but some days I feel like I've got the clutter monster under control and other days I feel totally defeated.

I thought that by putting away all the extra decorations from Christmas things would feel bare and minimal again, but I'm feeling overwhelmed. I know I'll never have it all figured out, nor will the fight ever be over, but  I also know we can and should live lighter than we are.

Why? Why do I stress about this?

Because I spend so much of my time taking care of our stuff and I'm sick of it. I'm tired of feeling like my hours are dictated by organizing, putting away, picking up and managing STUFF.

I want more time to create, play, daydream, read, study, explore and love.

So what should I do? I know there are all sorts of clutter challenges out there....the 2014 clutter cleanse challenge, get rid of 2014 items in 2014, and more.

I thought about keeping track of what I get rid of, but then realized whatever method I used for keeping track would just become clutter.

Keeping clutter to a minimum is really quite simple. It all comes down to one thing.

STOP THE IN-FLOW. 

I do the majority of the shopping for the household and have a lot of control when it comes to  what I allow in the house. Most of the clutter that drives me crazy is my fault. It's the result of weakness.

I'm going to do my best to gently usher our clutter right back out the front door this year. Also, I vow to use up the resources we have on hand before I buy more. (I do NOT need more letter writing supplies). And I will be honest with myself about what we really use in our daily lives and what we are just storing.


Look at the birds of the air; 
they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, 
and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. 
Are you not much more valuable than they? 
- Matthew 6:26







No comments:

Post a Comment