Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Thursday, May 2, 2013

{pretty, happy, funny, real} - Mexico 2013


taking a moment to capture contentment and joy in every day life

This past week I had the opportunity to spend 6 days at Rancho de los Ninos in Mexico. This was my second visit, and this time I was accompanied by 9 others from my church and community. Rancho de los Ninos is home to 20 children, most of whom are mentally and/or physically handicapped. It is a wonderful, Christian home, and it was an honor to interact with the residents and the staff.


{pretty} 







Some members of our work team made new benches











{happy}
sharing God's word with the little ones

The kids at our church raised enough money to buy 40 Spanish Bibles. We gave one to each child at Rancho de los Ninos, and gave another 20 to the local church.



I had some seriously good help one day as I built a brick wall.

I love these boys - Juan and Juan

Beach day with 10+ kids from Rancho de los Ninos

And I just have to say....GOD IS SO GOOD! On Sunday morning we were able to witness the baptism of 4 of the kids from Rancho de los Ninos. One of them was Juan - the very boy I have sponsored since my trip down last year. I felt like one proud mama - my heart was bursting with joy as I witnessed these wonderful kids commit their lives to Christ. The tears flow even now when I think of it.
Juan Antonio - child of God

Juan Enrique - child of God


Kimberly - child of God






{funny}
On Friday we took a break from our work and headed to the beach (without kids). Being Americans, we were bombarded by locals trying to sell jewelry, henna tattoos, dresses, baskets, sunglasses and more. I decided to get my hair braided by a young girl....I just wanted one braid and thought she would braid beads and ribbons into it. Nope. I got one braid. Something I could have done myself. And I paid her $5.


You can kinda see my one braid. Doesn't look that great. And here I am by a giant frog - thought my girls would like this. They didn't seem to think it was all that great.





{real}
The bugs were pretty bad. Mosquitoes and no seeums were having a feast on my legs, arms and neck. At night we all slept under mosquito nets. I'm not sure it was completely necessary, but it did add a layer of security and protection. Especially when you know there are also scorpions about.



Speaking of scorpions....saw this fellow right outside our dorm.



But the even bigger reality is that several of the young men at Rancho de los Ninos need a new home. They are in their upper teens and low to mid twenties. Funds are being raise for Project Next Step. (I would love to put a link up to the website, but it's not working....) The next step for these boys is to purchase a home for them in Mazatlan, and also purchase a second home that would be a bed and breakfast - staffed by none other than the boys you see below (plus a couple more). How cool is that?





I'm linking up with Like Mother, Like Daughter


round button chicken

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. That scorpion. *shudder*
    Welcome back! Such wonderful pictures and so beautiful about the Baptisms!!! I love them all holding the Bibles. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a trip! Baptisms and scorpions :) Thanks so much for joining!

    ReplyDelete