Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Summer Joys ~ Zucchini

When I think of summer, one of the first things I think of is zucchini. Especially after I had such success growing it last year. I planted 5 zucchini plants last year, and had zucchini coming out of my ears (or so it seemed). I made a mental note to myself not to plant 5 zucchini plants in future years. So I laughed a bit when I realized that this year I planted only 4. I think it's safe to say that no one needs 4 zucchini plants either!




When you do plant several zucchini plants, your fruit bowl turns into a zucchini bowl and you begin sneaking shredded zucchini into everything. You also risk becoming THAT person ~ the one that causes people in your neighborhood or church to lock their car doors lest the zucchini fairy leaves them a surprise.


But I do love zucchini and thought I would share some of my favorite recipes here. 

Just in case.



Zucchini Bread
Combine and mix:
  • 1 ½ C sugar
  •  1/3 C brown sugar
  •   ¾ C oil
  • 2 eggs

Mix and add to above:
  • 2 C flour
  • ¾ tsp baking powder
  •  ¾ tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp salt
  •  2 ½ tsp cinnamon

Add:
  • 1 ½ shredded zucchini
  • optional - chocolate chips

Bake at 350 for I hour






Squash Casserole

3 lbs yellow/zucchini squash, sliced                                   ¼ C mayo
5 T butter, divided                                                               2 tsp sugar
½ C onion, chopped                                                             1 tsp salt
1 C cheddar, shredded                                                          20 round crackers, crushed
2 large eggs, slightly beaten

  • Cook squash in boiling water for 8-10 minutes. Drain well.
  •  Melt 4 T butter in skillet. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes.
  • Remove skillet from heat. Stir in squash, cheese, eggs, mayo, sugar and salt.
  • Spoon into baking dish.
  • Melt remaining 1 T butter and add crushed crackers. Sprinkle over casserole.
  • Bake @350 for 30-35 minutes.




Zucchini Hamburger Casserole

4 medium zucchini ~ sliced or shredded
1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 C dry bread crumbs
1/2 C grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
mozzarella cheese

  • Lightly grease 9x13 baking dish
  • Cook ground beef and onion over medium heat.
  • Stir in bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, salt, oregano, and garlic salt. Add sauce and mix well.
  • In baking dish layer zucchini, meat and sauce mixture, mozzarella. Repeat layers.
  • Bake @ 350 for 45 minutes.

Do you have a favorite way to eat zucchini?


1 comment: