When I think of summer, one of the first things I think of is zucchini. Especially after I had such success growing it last year. I planted 5 zucchini plants last year, and had zucchini coming out of my ears (or so it seemed). I made a mental note to myself not to plant 5 zucchini plants in future years. So I laughed a bit when I realized that this year I planted only 4. I think it's safe to say that no one needs 4 zucchini plants either!
When you do plant several zucchini plants, your fruit bowl turns into a zucchini bowl and you begin sneaking shredded zucchini into everything. You also risk becoming THAT person ~ the one that causes people in your neighborhood or church to lock their car doors lest the zucchini fairy leaves them a surprise.
But I do love zucchini and thought I would share some of my favorite recipes here.
Just in case.
Combine and mix:
- 1 ½ C sugar
- 1/3 C brown sugar
- ¾ C oil
- 2 eggs
Mix and add to above:
- 2 C flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 ½ shredded zucchini
- optional - chocolate chips
Bake at 350 for I hour
3 lbs yellow/zucchini squash, sliced ¼ C mayo
5 T butter, divided 2 tsp sugar
½ C onion, chopped 1 tsp salt
1 C cheddar, shredded 20 round crackers, crushed
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- Cook squash in boiling water for 8-10 minutes. Drain well.
- Melt 4 T butter in skillet. Add onion and sauté 5 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat. Stir in squash, cheese, eggs, mayo, sugar and salt.
- Spoon into baking dish.
- Melt remaining 1 T butter and add crushed crackers. Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake @350 for 30-35 minutes.
Zucchini Hamburger Casserole
4 medium zucchini ~ sliced or shredded
1 lb ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 C dry bread crumbs
1/2 C grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
- Lightly grease 9x13 baking dish
- Cook ground beef and onion over medium heat.
- Stir in bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, salt, oregano, and garlic salt. Add sauce and mix well.
- In baking dish layer zucchini, meat and sauce mixture, mozzarella. Repeat layers.
- Bake @ 350 for 45 minutes.
Do you have a favorite way to eat zucchini?