Give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread - Proverbs 30:8

Monday, April 11, 2011

Home Sweet Home

I have never felt like more of a minimalist than I do today.

We just returned from a visit with my family and my dear mother is most definitely not a minimalist. She would more aptly be described as a decorating packrat, and everywhere you look her stuff is on display. I grew up in a home like this and for much of my early adult years tried to recreate this type of look in my own home. Not anymore.

The first morning we were there, I made toast, but I was greatly discouraged to make this my daily breakfast because of the 7 bags of coffee I had to move to get to the toaster. It was even more difficult to put the toaster away and re-balance the coffee on top.

When we first walked back into our own home last night, the barrenness of it was like a slap in the face. Very quickly, however, I realized how calming and soothing it was to be surrounded by empty spaces.

I'm glad to be home.


3 comments:

  1. Oh, I SO get this! I feel the same way when I've been gone to vist certain people and then come home to my own little cottage. That's the reason I make sure we've cleaned and vacuumed the house and have put away ALL the dishes in the kitchen before we leave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is exactly how I felt when we returned home from a recent visit to my MILs house. She live in a small apartment and every inch of it is covered in "decor." I noticed how overwhelmed my son was by all the stuff. Even after the newness of the environment wore off on him, he was unable to focus and cranky he whole time. It drove us nuts! I was happy to return to our delightfully minimalist home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny.. I spent some time at a friend's BEAUTIFUL home today, but we definitely have different decorating styles; mine being on the minimalish side! While I love the way her house looked, I feel more at home in my space with not so many things around. To each his own, but I'm with you! :)

    ReplyDelete